Friday, May 22, 2009

Small Town Girl in a Big City World

Welcome to the diary of my summer in NEW YORK CITY. Here is the background story of what I'm up to this summer:

Right after Christmas last December, I began calling places that had potential of being a place for me to intern at for the coming summer. In order to graduate next May (2010) with my Journalism degree, I had to do an internship for c
redit from Iowa State. I had the goal of finding a position out on the East Coast somewhere...anywhere! After spending last summer in Wyoming doing field work and studying the geology out there, I wanted to try out the urbanized area of the country.

To make my spring semester even busier, I spent the next 4 months searching for places that could offer or create a position for me to do the type of work I was hoping for. Who knew that blindly searching on the Internet and sending numerous application emails could take up so much time! My room
mates this past year can attest to the fact that sleeping at night was a treat for me that I actually got on a rare occasion after applications, VEISHEA business, volunteering for the Admissions office, and what was that other thing? Oh yeah...homework!

To get the best experience for both of my degrees in progress, Geology and Journalism, I searched for science communications positions. Scholastic was one of the first places I contacted. The company publishes many educational classroom magazines. Mom and Mr. Smith use the science magazines SuperScience and Science World in their classrooms at Ogden Middle School. After speaking with the executive editor of both magazines in December, it wasn't until March that I submitted my official application materials. Knowing that actually getting the position was a long shot, I pursued other places in cities around the US and also local to Iowa as well.

I had given up on Scholastic and was in the preliminary stages of setting up positions with a couple other places when I received an email requesting a phone interview with executive editor in New York. It being VEISHEA week, for all of you Iowa Staters, I was crazy busy helping to run the show on Iowa State's campus. The interview got crammed in somewhere between a campus BBQ here, a run to the airport to get a performer
there, and then after VEISHEA week had passed, I was in the library in the afternoon during the next week when I received an email offering me the intern position in New York City for the summer. I wanted to scream, I was so excited! But being in the library, I contained my excitement and went into the stairwell to immediately call my parents. Mom was teaching a class, but had instructed me to interrupt her if I got any good news. Dad was actually walking around Arlington National Cemetery in DC with Thad's class on the Ogden Senior Trip. Later that week when they got up to NYC, I received a picture message on my phone from Dad of a street sign that read "Broadway"- where I would be working in the city.

The next three weeks were ridiculous: dead week- where the only thing dead about it is the students, finals week, being selected as one of the VEISHEA 2010 General Co-Ch
airs (along with my lovely partner in crime, Nicki), moving out of my apartment, getting loan money figured out to finance my upcoming summer, finding and paying waaaay to much for housing in the city, going home to help get ready for Thad's graduation party, packing, unpacking, re-packing, attending the graduation ceremony at Drake for Reece who earned his Masters this spring, turning right around and going to Thad's graduation ceremony at OHS the next day and then flying out to New York early the next morning. Whew!

There you have it. My story up until now.
My first week begins in the following post!

No comments:

Post a Comment