Monday, July 13, 2009

The Wizard of Oz never looked so good

Last Friday, another friend from Iowa State, Kristin, and her friend from home, Julie, came to visit New York. They toured around the Midtown area on their own during the day while I went to work. That evening, we all joined up, including Natalie, and went down to Pier 46 on the Hudson River. The city puts on RiverFlicks- free movies out on the piers during the summer. Friday was kid's night and the featured film was The Wizard of Oz. A classic! Mom- I couldn't believe how much of that movie I could recite!

We found a spot in the crowded area and laid out our sheet to sit on. Julie, Kristin, and I walked away for a few minutes to find a snack and when we got back Natalie asked me,
"Do you have your phone on you?"
"No, I left it here..."
"Well, get it out"

I dug my phone out of my bag as I sat down next to her and read a new text message she had sent me in the time we were away:

"Hugh Jackman is sitting next to me. Don't make a scene."

WHAT!? HUGH JACKMAN? ...is what I was thinking in my head!

Nat said he had gone to get some of the free popcorn they were giving out before the movie began. When he came back, Nat asked, "It's him, right?"

Oh. It was definitely him. Hugh Jackman was just out enjoying the beautiful summer night with a couple friends and his family- wife, Deborra and adopted kids, Oscar and Ava. What an great dad he is to his adorable kids!

Hugh was really nice to the people who came up to talk to him, but turned down taking pictures with anyone. We didn't want to be THAT person who was obnoxious to the star, especially when he was out enjoying time with his family, so here is the best photographic evidence we got. Hugh and one of his friends is sitting next to us and his son, with the cute dark curly hair, is sitting in front him.

I'm borrowing this image from Natalie's blog. Someone posted this on Twitter and Natalie nicely edited it to point out where Hugh was sat down next to her before we returned from the snack shop.

This was found online from another admirer when the Jackman family was out for dinner before coming to the pier for the movie. What a good dad...

My New York City experience is complete. I can go home now that I've seen a celebrity at random out in public. :)

Nat and I waiting for Judy to come on the screen

Julie, Kristin, and I after Hugh and the fam left

The girls on the pier after the movie
Julie, Kristin, Natalie, and I

6 comments:

  1. Duder,

    Just wanted to say I love reading your blog! As a kid who's LONGED to visit NYC ever since I can remember, I thoroughly enjoy reading about your experiences. It makes me excited to one day get to visit. I'm glad you're getting the chance to experience all the city has to offer, and keep up the awesome post! Hope all's well.

    -Colby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colb-dawg,

    I'm glad you are satisfying your childhood longings via my blog. You have GOT to visit this place. Soon you'll be a big, bad business man making lots of money. Use some of that hard-earned cash and treat yourself and your new wife to NYC before it's too late!

    Don't be a stranger,
    Hallie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallie! That's awesome! I felt the same way when I saw Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith backstage after an opera in Aspen... now I can say I've seen a mooovie star haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kels- It's a BIG deal for us little people! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. just for the record, i may have seen antonio banderas 187 times in arizona, but i can't be sure. there are just too many good looking latinosss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't be hatin' on the Antonios out there, Jess. Embrace your fellow Arizonians...a quit making up stories ;)

    ReplyDelete