Monday, June 29, 2009

Another Weekend, Another Island

I've gotten behind on my posts, but that means I've been busy here in the city! We started off last weekend with a stop at Pinkberry around the corner to take advantage of free frozen yogurt to celebrate their new flavors: Coconut and Passion Fruit. I think I'll stick to the original flavor, but hey, you can't beat freebies!

Emily and I waiting in line for free Pinkberry frozen yogurt! (Photo by Natalie)

Natalie, Emily, and I trying out the new Pinkberry flavors. (Photo by Natalie)

Later that evening we wandered down to Washington Square to check out a movie that was playing on a big screen. While the movie wasn't a blockbuster that we were interested in, it was fun to see another park in the city. Clearly we taking our time and enjoying the outside- I decided to make good use of my time and take off my toenail polish as we sat in the park. (Photo by Natalie)

Here comes the E train! (Photo by Natalie)

Saturday we decided it was time to get out of the city. There was finally a day of sunshine so we took a ferry (for free!) to Governors Island- just off the tip of Lower Manhattan.

Looking back at Lower Manhattan from the ferry to Governors Island.

We rented bikes for a couple of hours to ride around Governors Island- no cars, taxi cabs, buses, and less people!

Not miles, only minutes from anywhere on the island: Picnic Point, Pier 101, Fort Jay...

You wouldn't want to miss this sign to the City of Dreams!

As you rode around and came to the backside of the island, or the side opposite of Manhattan, there were chairs on the sidewalk and hammocks in the shade to use for relaxing and taking in the view of the Statue of Liberty in the distance.

Emily, Nat, and I with the Statue of Liberty over our left shoulders.

Em and I with our beach cruisers and Lady Liberty.

"Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride it where I like" -Queen

This little girl was our idol :)

I brought a Banana Snapple (yum!) for our picnic on the island. The Snapple factory is behind me, across the river.
The Staten Island Ferry leaving Manhattan.

Is that Captain Jack Sparrow's pirate ship? I thought this was the Hudson, not the Caribbean?

After returning to Manhattan, we went over to the West Side to the High Line park.

They converted an old train line that was propped up above the streets to a beautiful green space in the city.

This simple reminder keeps our feet on the path.

It had rained that day- surprise, surprise! (It was the 2nd wettest June on record; 23 out of 30 days were wet!) But we were rewarded with a rainbow above the skyscrapers.

There is some fascinating architecture around here!

Wildflowers were abundant alongside the path.

Looking over the edge of the High Line park to the east were streets after streets busy with cars, trucks, and taxi cabs.

But to the west of the park was the sun setting over the Hudson River.

The sunset between a couple of buildings.

Older buildings near the High Line park with the Empire State Building towering above in the distance.

Laundry drying out in the city.

At the end of the High Line park looking back east into the city.

This is how they park or rather "stack" their cars in New York City. Not exactly convenient...

These buildings in the residential area on our walk back reminded me of Sesame Street. :)

Emily and I strolling back through the Brownstones. (Photo by Natalie)

I've seen rats down in the subways on several occasions. I am not a fan. Gross.

I liked this "sign" quite a bit more than the rats sign down in the subways. I'm not sure how the person got across the subway tracks to the opposite wall to write those 4 letters, but I'm glad they did.

3 comments:

  1. I feel quite honored to be featured multiple times in this blog post :) And, a note to all blog readers: leave Hallie comments! It makes blogging even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the pictures! and i'm so glad you're having fun! and i miss you! crazy how we were both stressing big time last spring about what we were going to be doing, and everything worked out better than we ever could have expected. can't wait to see you in august! when are you coming back?
    loves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie- Your pictures deserve to be posted online several times! :)

    Jess- Elyse and I missed you big time this weekend! There were several times we made comments such as, "If Jess were here.." haha! Things do have a way of working out, don't they? I guess a little stress never hurts, ha! I'm having a blast, but definitely counting the weeks 'til our return to Ames! I fly home the 10th of August. When will you grace us with your presence at our new pad?

    ReplyDelete