Monday, June 8, 2009

Still No Key...

All of my stories have been building up over the weekend and I have been unable to share them because of a mishap that I blame on the United States Postal Service (sorry Dad...)

I flew out to New York with just one suitcase and a backpack of things. I was going to get by for the first 2 weeks with the bare minimum and then Mom and Dad were going to send me the rest of my stuff after I moved into my housing. Good plan, right? Yeah, we thought so too.

Dad, being a good government employee and an advocate for the US Postal Service insisted on sending my packages through the mail. No big deal, they would get here somehow. I packed up a couple boxes before I left and then he decided to put the rest of my clothes, a couple of towels, my pillow, and whatever else into the infamous pink (yes, pink) suitcases. Now before you judge, those retro-colored pieces of luggage are great for locating on the luggage belt after flying somewhere...at least that's what I've been told by my 70's-thriving parents.

The next part of the story that is important was another decision made by our resident postal worker. "I'm going to lock the zippers on both suitcases and then send you the key in a separate envelope," said Dad. Well to make a long story short, I received all of the packages in the mail earlier last week and now 5 days later I still have NO KEY. My creative ability is wearing thin after attempting to mix and match the clothes that I have to make up new outfits to wear each day. The worst part about all of this is that there is one thing in particular that I want out of the one suitcase: my beloved Dell laptop computer. Dad asked awhile back if I was electronics-deprived. The answer was yes! Just days before I left Iowa, I had to send both my computer AND my camera into the shops to be repaired. I FINALLY got my camera back on Saturday morning- yippee! But I can't upload and share any of the pictures I took this weekend, I can't charge my iPod that has been dead for a week now, and I can't check my Gmail, Facebook, or update this blog on the weekends. All because I don't have that tiny little key. Mom did remind me, as only a mother could, of all the things I've done because I haven't been spending time on the computer. Case in point: I read 4 books in 2.5 weeks. That's more than I've read since I was out in the wilderness of Wyoming last summer. Hooray for summer reading!

Ok, I know what you're thinking. Why hasn't she picked the lock? Or even cut the lock open? The answer is, I tried a different key and even an earring to pick the lock- no success. I'm taking a paper clip from work today and we'll see if my lock-picking abilities get any better. And for some reason the maintenance people in the building I'm living don't have any tools, such as a pair of pliers, that I can use to open the lock. Mom suggested taking a pair of scissors and cutting the leather. I told her no way because Dad would have a heart attack if something happened to his pink suitcases. Plus, then I would have to buy new suitcases to get my things home. Duh, Mom.

I guess Dad sent the second key (yes, he had an extra) from home this morning. This time I hope he put a delivery confirmation on the letter! I bet I'll have both keys in my possession by the end of the week. Things seem to work out that way...

As a disclaimer, I don't blame Dad for any of this...he did pay the outrageous postage to have my things sent to me. What a good dad :) More, I just wish he was here with his supply of tools to pry open that stupid lock. Actually I just wish he was here with the key...

Needless to say, I did get to open 2 boxes last week that came in the mail. It was like Christmas morning! A couple of framed pictures of the family, my alarm clock, DVDs, Clorox wipes, a new book I bought before I left, a couple of hoodie sweatshirts, my webcam (like I can use that right now-HA), and even a few recent pictures of all of us together at the graduations back in May.

After hitting the gym tonight, first thing I'll do when I walk through the door: check the mailbox in hopes of a letter from Dad-with the key :)

No comments:

Post a Comment