Monday, June 15, 2009

Now It's Starting to Feel Like Summer

Ever heard of a Bubble Battle? Enter: 47th and Broadway of Times Square on a Friday after work. What we discovered as an event on Facebook turned out to be a fun release after a week in the office. This flash mob was thousands of people that all turned up in Times Square with any kind of toy imaginable that blows soap bubbles, or regulars like us with the old fashion bottle of solution and the magic wand that produces the geometrical shape that one can only smile about!

Bubbles and the Crowd

Emily and I participating in the "battle"

This guy was clearly prepared in his armor of bubble wrap

The real deal: Bubble Soldier

More crowd, more bubbles!

A reflection in the bubble of some of the buildings in Times Square
Emily, Natalie, and I being attacked by the bubbles!

Later on Friday night (6/12), Jessica, Natalie, and I went down to Lower Manhattan for a rooftop film. The building was a school in the neighborhood and their playground area was on the rooftop where there were amazing graffiti illustrations to decorate the walls beneath the basketball hoops. The featured film was New York Non-Fiction, a series of short documentary films about the lives of a few New Yorkers: a tailor in the city, a girl from the Bronx who went to visit her father who is the chief of a village in Ghana, a homeless man, a group of determined men who took a blow-up raft out to Brother Island- a run-down island on the East River, and a hilarious segment on the community of single Jewish people living on the Upper West Side. One of my favorite quotes came from the girl in the Bronx when she was moving to college:
Girl's Mom: "You take the things you need, not everything."
Girl: "I'm going to college. I'm taking everything."
I think I can relate...and so can my mom. :)

Scene on top of the roof as the crowd waits for the film to begin

Me beneath the basketball hoop with the graffiti on the rooftop of the school


When we were walking back to our building after the movie, we were puzzled to see this car sitting near the post office on the corner: POSTAL POLICE...why is this needed?? Postal crooks.

Saturday morning was spent at the gym again and then after cleaning up back at my room, I set out to find a place to get my haircut. I had done some research on this very helpful website, Yelp.com, where you can search for anything that you may be looking for in any city or neighborhood you may be living in. I knew it was going to be expensive, and expensive it was! Good thing I had the guy cut it extra short so hopefully it will last the rest of the summer. I definitely wasn't back at home where I can simply stop in to get a trim and put the bill on Mom's tab for the next time she comes in for her own appointment. Someday I plan to grow up... :)

Saturday evening I rode the subway to the Upper West Side near Columbia University to meet a friend for dinner. Tricia was in town for a conference at Columbia and it was great to catch up with her since their family moved away almost a year ago from Ames where I used to babysit the kids. Familiar faces are a welcome sight in this sea of strangers!

On Sunday we tried out a different church farther Uptown in the city where we met a friend of Natalie's from the last summer she spent in New York. Afterwards I hit up the grocery store where I only bought what I could carry the few blocks back to my room- what a great way to keep the buyer from over-shopping! Fresh fruit street vendors are a favorite during the summer!

That afternoon, Jessica, Emily, Natalie, and I decided to get out and enjoy the sunshine by making a trip to Central Park. We grabbed our books and blankets started walking towards the grassy area of the city. We got held up on 5th Ave when we ran into the Puerto Rican parade. I found out later on the news that this annual event in its 52nd year had attracted approximately 2 million people to the area to celebrate their Puerto Rican pride along the parade route and well into the evening in the neighborhood.

Puerto Rican Pride along the parade route

We spent the rest of the afternoon laying out in the grass of a lawn in Central Park, reading our books and catching some sun. What a perfect way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.

One of the open lawns in Central Park with the Manhattan skyline in the background

After we had soaked up enough Vitamin D for the day, we headed back to Midtown and found a movie theater that offered a student discount on tickets (only $8- almost the price of a movie in Ames!). We finished the evening by seeing John Krasinski's new film, Away We Go.

I'd say it was a weekend that screamed summer and I couldn't have been more pleased. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment