Sunday, June 14, 2009

I can't help that teaching is in my blood...

Two Friday mornings ago, I was spared from a few hours at my lonely desk to attend Scholastic's annual National Advisory Council. All I knew was that the morning would be spent listening to top dogs of the company and other distinguished figures from the educational community around the nation. It sounds rather mundane, but I have to say, I enjoyed it! I will attribute some of my enjoyment to the fact that I am the daughter and sister of a couple teachers which naturally lends itself in this situation. The discussion allowed the professionals that work for Scholastic to hear directly from educators what their needs are for their schools and how Scholastic can improve the works that come out of their company.

The 2009 National Teacher of the Year, Anthony Mullen, from Greenwich High School in Connecticut was a guest for the council this spring. He left the detective forces of the NYPD to start a career in teaching. His reasoning for switching professions began with his desire to be proactive in troubled kids' lives rather than just seeing the same kids in and out of jail all the time as a cop.

The other highlight, for me at least, of the council was a very special guest. Ms. Erin Gruwell, an English teach in Long Beach, CA is the teacher who's story about her and her students is told in the 2007 film, Freedom Writers. Her tireless work with students in a classroom plagued by interracial troubles brought these kids to forget their differences through writing. Her amazing story can be read in her own memoir, Teach With Your Heart as well as the book her students, the Freedom Writers wrote, The Freedom Writers Diary.

Earlier that week, I had one of those moments when something just falls into your hands and works out better than you expected. It was then that I still was waiting for my packages from home and without my computer or Internet, I was reading a lot of books (I still am!). In our break room on the Classroom Magazine floor there is a box of books that are free for whatever reason- unedited versions, etc. I was sifting through, in need of a book to pass my free time, and picked up Teach With Your Heart, not knowing that the author was going to be coming to our building that coming Friday. Easily finishing the book in time for the conference on Friday, I was thrilled to listen to Erin speak so passionately about her students and her experience as a teacher. A hug and her signature in the copy of her book was a great way end to my 3rd week at Scholastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment